A new, walkable neighborhood nestled in over 320 acres of parks and open space
With a community-focused design aimed at inspiring creativity and embracing the area’s natural beauty, Rancho del Prado will provide a variety of housing choices, an array of recreational opportunities, and an abundance of open space that complements the adjacent neighborhoods.
Surrounded by rolling hills and open space, Rancho del Prado will:
- Complement Colton’s Housing Element and help improve quality of life
- Act as a catalyst for important public facilities and road improvements
- Protect and conserve natural resources, open space, viewsheds, and trails
- Create a looped road system to increase reliability of emergency medical and delivery services
- Provide needed fire safety improvements and buffering
About the name
The English translation of Rancho del Prado is Meadow Ranch. The name is a nod to the nestled beauty of the meadow-like grasslands that are traversed by the site’s ridges and valleys. It also provides a distinct and purposeful connection to the Prado neighborhood at the northwest area of the site.
A better way
For the past two and a half years, University Realty has researched and analyzed opportunities to improve the Canyon’s water infrastructure and fire protection and identify and plan for roadway improvements and secondary access routes.
Public input has helped shape a plan to address these needs and which would be funded by the development of new housing linking Prado and Crystal Ridge neighborhoods. This new neighborhood would be the catalyst for private investment needed to fund improvements in the Canyon.
Rancho del Prado has been shaped by public input and includes:
- Extensive traffic and infrastructure analyses conducted at no cost to the City
- Compatible design with existing neighborhoods
- Secondary access and fire safety improvements
- A funding mechanism and plan for road improvements, including traffic control measures
- Mitigation measures and voluntary improvements to Reche Canyon Road to offset impacts
- New revenue for the City
Developing the project
The Rancho del Prado project began to take shape following extensive study of the land and area, research of critical natural and man-made elements of the area, as well as meetings with and input from community members, elected officials, planning staff, and a broad array of outside experts. The Specific Plan for the proposed project has been prepared in accordance with applicable state and local laws and regulations. The resulting Specific Plan is intended to guide the orderly and efficient development of a new, walkable neighborhood of single-family, detached homes in accordance with the City of Colton’s General Plan.
There will be extensive public review throughout the multi-step process. This is intended to address community priorities as well as development needs.